Wednesday, September 26, 2012

How To: Deodorizing Haitian/Jamaican Black Castor Oil

There are many that want to use the popular Jamaican Black Castor Oil, or the Haitian version. However there is on common complaint among those using it- the scent. It has a very unique smokey aroma, which comes from the roasting of the castor beans. The beans are harvested, washed, and allowed to dry in the sun. They are then roasted over an open fire pit in a cast iron pot using constant turning, crushed to extract the oil, drained, and then boiled to further extract the oil.  The roasting process leaves behind a scent of smoke. This is what turns many users off.

When I got my first oil I didn't know what to expect as far as the aroma. I got it in a small container and some leaked onto my hand when I opened it. It was a dark liquid that appeared black, and it was thick like molasses. The smell however was nothing sweet and quite strong. So strong that when I opened it in the car everyone let their windows down. The container that I used when I purchased the oil was not the one I planned to use it from. I showed up to buy it not knowing it was from a large jug and I needed to bring a container so I just grabbed what was convenient in my purse, a pill bottle. When I reached home I transferred the oil into my bottle with the applicator tip. A small amount of oil remained pooled in the pill bottle, which
smelled heavily of the oil. For some reason I left the pill bottle sitting open on my bedroom dresser. 

Days later I picked up the bottle thinking why is this just sitting here. That quickly I'd forgotten what had been in the bottle, until I saw the small amount of pooled, dark colored oil. I dipped my finger into the bottle and pulled out just enough to wet my fingertip. The oil and the bottle had absolutely NO SCENT. Over the course of a few days the aroma of burnt rubber had completely dissipated. Gone, completely from the oil and bottle. This led me to discover that the scent of the oil will disappear over time if exposed to air.

To accomplish this: use a glass baking dish that is at least 9x13, or large enough so that the oil is in a thin layer. I chose glass because its a non reactive material. Pour your oil into the dish and place it where it can't waste or be tipped over. Allow it to sit in the open exposed to the air in your home for a few days, 2-3, depending on the strength of the aroma, stirring occasionally. When the scent has dissipated to your satisfaction, place the oil back into a capped or lidded container. Hopefully this process will make it easier to use this wonderful oil. You may also add an essential oil to the castor oil. Lavender, Rosemary, Ylang Ylang, Peppermint, Sweet Orange, Tea Tree, Eucalyptus and Lemon/ Lemongrass are all essential oils that I've seen used with success. Please add essential oils in the appropriate ratio and allow time for the scent to develope, it may take a few hours.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for taking the time shear this useful post. I feel strongly about it and love learning more of Jamaican Black Castor oil. If possible, as you gain expertise, would you mind updating your blog with more information? It is extremely helpful for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tip! I bought two bottles of JBCO - one regular and one lavender-scented, and I can't stand the smell of either of them. I just poured the rest of the regular bottle into a glass skillet and am hoping that the smell will dissipate, as it did for you.

    ReplyDelete