Saturday, August 23, 2014

Review: As I Am Coconut CoWash

The As I Am product line has fast become popular with many naturals. It is among the most recognized brands for natural hair. One of the most popular prouducts offered by the brand is As I Am Coconut CoWash. I tried this product in a sample pack that I received way back when the line debuted. I wasn't very impressed at that time. Luckily for me, I gave this product another try and I'm not only impressed, but it's become a staple in my regimen. The details are as follows:

Ingredients: Aqueous (Water, Aqua Purificada, Purified) Extracts: Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) and Citrus Reticulata (Tangerine)¹, Cetyl Alcohol², Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetearyl Alcohol², PEG-40 Castor Oil, Stearlkonium chloride, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil², Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil¹, Phytosterols¹, Serenoa Serrulata Fruit Extract¹, Quaternium-18, Potassium Sorbate, Fragrance/Parfum, Limonene, Methylisothiazolinone.
Source: 1-Natural, 2-Coconut

Aesthetics: The product is a thick, creamy consistency very much that of a deep conditioner. It is pale pink in color, with a coconut like fragrance, but it's not strongly scented at all. It offers some slip for finger detangling and to help prevent tangles while you wash.

Cost & Availability: This CoWash is Packaged in a 16 oz. jar, and can be priced from $5.00-$9.00 which depends on where it's purchased. It's available at Walgreens, Target, Sally Beauty, CVS, some WalMart locations, and beauty supply stores. The retail stores are more likely to have sales and specials, I've found some good deals for this item at Sally Beauty and Walgreens stores.

Product claims/ Practicality of Use:
Spreads easily throughout hair.
Gently cleanses hair and scalp.
Maintains moisture, adds more moisture and helps hair retain moisture until your next cleanse.
Makes detangling a breeze.
Rinses easily from hair.
Helps promote a healthy environment for hair growth.
Gentle enough for daily use. Safe for color-treated hair.

Directions: Wet hair thoroughly,
Rub a liberal amount within palms and distribute throughout hair.
Work product through hair and massage scalp with fingertips as you would a conventional shampoo.
Carefully detangle hair with a wide-tooth comb,
Rinse well.
Repeat only if necessary to remove excessive product build up or for further scalp cleansing.
Follow with conditioning. Use either As I Am® Hydration Elation® Intensive Conditioning Treatment or As I Am® Leave-In Conditioner.

Effectiveness & Results: This Cowash really got the job done. It wash very cleansing for my hair and scalp.  It cleansed as well as my old moisturizing sulfate shampoo. My hair was left clean, conditioned and moisturized without being stripped, or left dry. I did transfer the product into a 16 oz. bottle which made it more convenient for the way I wash my hair. I used the product as directed and started by applying it from the roots, massaging my scalp and working it down my strands. The jar is not easy to use especially if your washing in the shower. This is the only drawback of this product so far and this can be easily remedied. Not only will I buy this product again, I already have an extra jar so that I can have it on hand when needed. This is a staple product that I don't plan to run out of. Keep in mind that I don't use products that tend to build up in my hair. Everyone may not have the same experience, because what works for me may not work for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment