Thursday, December 15, 2011

Kera Care Natural Textures Line- Review

I did a wash day using the Kera Care Natural Textures samples that I received from Avlon, the company that manufactures the product. I was on the fence because the initial impression was not instantly good. But as the experience progressed I warmed up to it. Here's a full recap.
The line consists of six(6) products. The products are labeled by the step in which they should be performed, the pH, and a letter D which means use on dry hair, and W which means use on wet hair. I completed steps one through three.

Step 1- Cleansing Cream pH5.0: a sulfate free moisturizing curl wash. I used the cream to wash my hair and I didn't find it very moisturizing. But I have to keep in mind it is a shampoo. There is no wash out conditioner so it is necessary to detangle during the shampoo. It had little to no slip and my hair kind of tangled on itself. It did not help that I'd gone 13 days between washing and had a big bush of free form hair, that was already tangled and dry. So this may work better as part of a regular routine, and on hair that has been properly maintained. I am interested in revisiting this step to evaluate this theory. This cream did leave my hair squeaky clean, and it felt as though I'd used a poo bar. I'm on the fence with this one.

Step 2: Leave In Conditioner pH5.0: After the wash process I applied the leave in and I used the entire 1oz. packet. It is the consistency of a curl activator cream, i.e. care free curl, or a bargain conditioner, that is like a liquid gel in a bottle. It does have slip, and some moisture. However it is not oily to seal in the moisture or prevent drying too quickly on high porousity hair. I distributed the leave in all over the hair. I then sectioned the hair, secured it with butterfly clips, and distributed the leave in evenly with my Denman type(Goody) brush. I could see instant clumping in each section. On to the next step.


Step 3: Twist & Define Cream pH6.5: For silky shiny twists and twist-outs. I applied this cream to sections of my hair and proceeded to twist it. I made some flat twists and some single two strand twists. In my opinion this cream is not a sealing or a moisturing cream. It is for hold, definition, and silkening. It did a really good job of defining my twists. They are not crunchy but they do not have the moisture that I'm used to. Each strand in the twists are very smooth and shiny too, which shows that the balanced pH of these products closed the hair cuticles.

There are also three other products in this line which gives other styling options. They are listed as follows.

Step 2: Hair Milk- Daily Hair Sustainer pH 5.0- to rejuvenate dry, frizzy, lifeless curls, coils,and twists. It is intended for use on dry hair.

Step 3: Defining Custard for Curls and Coils pH5.0- for shiny well moisturized, clearly defined curls, waves and spirals. It is for use during wet styling.

Step 3: Butter Cream Everyday Moisturizer pH5.5- Moisture locking souffle for manageability and vitality. Hydrates curls and coils while promoting healthy hair growth. For use during dry styling.

Overall the products that I used did just what they stated. It is sometimes our expectations for product performance that leads to disappointment. Remember there is no miracle product, just what works best for your hair. These are quality products and worth giving a try. You can see my results soon to be posted on my YouTube channel Chocka77.

No comments:

Post a Comment