Sunday, January 29, 2012

Eco Meringue- My styling/twisting concoction

Have you ever had a product that was almost your perfect product but something was missing from it. I am in that same boat right now. I have tried products that were almost perfect but seemed to lack one or two properties. In 2010 my first year as a natural I made a concoction using the clear Eco styler gel and shea butter. I wasn't big on YouTube videos and didn't know it was called Eco custard. I used this product to give my hair curl definition because I wore it in an afro. Now that my hair is longer, and does not do well with wash and go styles or loose afros, I mainly wear twist outs and braid outs. I have tried many different products and they all kind of lacked one property or another. Heavy butters lock in moisture and softness, but offered no hold, or lasting definition. Hair grease was good also but offered only a little hold. I fell in love with Design Essentials Cream Gel and it gave me everything I wanted but the price was out of my budget. Fact is I have tried many different products and I can say that I've only had a few not so good experiences, but nothing that was a definite staple as my twisting product. The only thing that was a must have product was raw shea butter, but it too lacked something.


Recently I received my order of Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue, that I ordered during the BOGO from Target. I really liked the definition and hold that it gave, but it left my hair a bit too stiff and borderline crunchy. It also had no moisturizing effects on my hair. Before using this I had used an Eco custard mix, and it didn't give enough hold,or frizz resistance. I then thought that maybe I can get the benefits of both my Eco custard and MJ Curly Meringue, by mixing them together. After paying what I paid for this stuff, not using it wasn't an option. I started by making my Eco Custard(recipe follows) and adding the MJ Curly Meringue, to it. I got a finished product that closely resembles my beloved DE Cream Gel, and didn't have to buy the Design Essentials. I did my first twists with it this past Friday and I am really pleased with the results. I have definition, hold, shine, and softness, without having tackiness, dryness, or that crunchy, stiff, brittle feeling. As with any products you have to use them in the proper proportion, along with the right technique. My technique and recipe are as follows.

ECO CUSTARD
1 Tbsp. Eco Styler(olive oil)
2 tsp. Castor Oil or shea butter(any heavy oil/butter will do)
1 tsp. olive oil(any light oil will do)
2 tsp. water or water based leave-in conditioner
Mix after adding each ingredient. This gives you the opportunity to adjust your recipe between ingredients using the amount necessary to fit your individual needs. I then add 1Tbsp. Curly Meringue, which gives the hold factor.

My Technique: I started with freshly washed hair. I pre-pooed, detangled, washed, deep conditioned,and applied my Kimmaytube leave-in mix. I then sectioned my hair into six sections, three on each side,using my fingers to section and securing the sections with butterfly clips. I then went through each section, applying more leave-in conditioner as needed, while finger combing and detangling with my Denman like Goody brush. I pulled an appropriate size section of hair from the larger section, applied a little grease/pomade to hair(to help seal in moisture),and a finger tip amount of the Eco Meringue being careful not to use to much, and proceed to twist my hair. If the hair dried or wasn't quite damp enough I simply misted it with my water mixture(water,leave-in conditioner) before applying more leave-in, grease, and eco meringue.

I allowed my hair to dry overnight and I now have a well defined twist out with great definition, hold, shine, body, and moisture. It is important to note that I used a medium weight hair grease(Softee Indian Hemp), which can be replaced by a butter,natural pomade(petroleum or mineral oil free), or heavy oil as a sealant. By using the products you already own to mix and customize your own products, that are best suited for your hair care needs, you may find that HG product that has all the properties you need. In addition to meeting the needs of my hair and style routine, I find it fun to just experiment with different ingredients. What new products have you created by mixing those you already own? Was your mix successful? Feel free to share your recipes and tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment