Monday, January 23, 2012

Review: Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue

There can't be a natural that hasn't heard of Miss Jessie's prooducts. It is a product line founded by two sisters and marketed towards the natural hair community. Although the products are not all natural, lots of naturals use them. I watched so many YouTube videos, read so many blog reviews, and forum posts before deciding to buy this product. It is not cheap 8oz. for $22 from Target.com, but I ordered during the BOGO free sale. This product is medium weight with a pudding like consistency, and it smells like some sort of lemon bubble gum. Its ingredients are: Water,Paraffinum Liquidum(mineral oil),Glycerin,Triethanolamine,Fragrance,Carbomer,Wheat Amino Acids,Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Avocado Oil, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil, Jojoba Seed Oil, Olive Fruit Oil, Oleth-5, Peg-12 Dimethicone, Elthylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Disodium EDTA, DMDM Hydantoin, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Yellow #5.
Package Statement- Transform frizzy fros to bodacious volumized curls.

I used this product on fresh washed hair, following my normal wash, conditon routine. I washed with my homemade liquid black soap mixture, deep conditioned with my Komaza Care Olive Moisture Mask, and applied my Kinky Curly Knot Today Leave-In conditioner mix. I then sectioned my hair into four large quadrants, and detangled in preparation for my twists. Once detangled I sectioned out enough hair to form a medium size twist, applied a finger tip amount- not a scoop, just a touched tip amount, and proceeded to twist. This product had some tackiness to it, and slip. It is not moisturising, but goes on smoothly. I could feel the hold and definition in my twists the minute they started to dry. This alarmed me because I read reviews where the user ended up with hard hair.

After allowing my twist to dry a little I sprayed them with my spray bottle mix, applied a little leave-in mix, and a little of my shea butter mixture. It took the same amount of drying time as usual. Once my hair dried, overnight Saturday, I wore my hair under my bonnet Sunday, and untwisted Monday. I had some WELL defined twists. They were nearly self separating, and required little manipulation to separate. The twists were so defined that I actually thought I had missed a few while untwisting.This product also provided me with great hold, and yes minimum frizz. One thing I don't like about this product is that it is not moisturising, and will leave hair feeling dry unless you know to layer it over a moisturiser and sealant. Another potential con would be using too much. Only a small amount is required to get the desired effect, and too much will definitely leave your hair hard. Knowing what I know now after using this product I will moisturise and seal under it for my next use. You do not have to apply more product to retwist, simply dampen your hair, finger comb section to be twisted,add a sealant if needed and twist. Overall I like this product for my twist outs. It is a bit expensive, but results require little product. For my next application of the product I have created a mix.
1tbsp.Curly Meringue(hold/definition)
1tsp.Kimmaytube leave-in(moisture)
1tsp.Castor oil(sealant)
1tsp.Water(moisture)
If this mix works I will have the best of both worlds, hold and definition plus moisturized hair. This may also help to stretch the product and provide for longer use, and savings. In this mix the product still retains its consistency, and smell. I don't know if I would buy it again I still have some trials to do before I decide to invest in this product without a sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment